How to Install Joomla 3.2
Article Number: 873 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM
How to install Joomla 3.2
This guide details how to install Joomla 3.2.
Table of contents
- Download Joomla
- Configure FTP credentials to transfer the Joomla files
- Prepare the Joomla files for transfer
- Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
- Configure database
- Configure Joomla
1: Download Joomla
Navigate to the Joomla download website.
Click Download Joomla! 3.2 (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Joomla download.
2: Configure FTP credentials to transfer the Joomla files
Attention: If you already have Nexcess FTP credentials, you may skip this section.
- Log in to your SiteWorx control panel with the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- From the main menu, click Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts.
Figure 2. SiteWorx main menu; Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts.
- As shown in Figure 3, on the Add an FTP Account page, fill in the FTP Username, Password, and Confirm Password. Retain this login information for future use and click Add.
Figure 3. FTP credential configuration.
3: Prepare the Joomla package for transfer
Navigate to the location of the Joomla download.
Right-click on the Joomla zip file and select extract All.
A field displays; select a memorable location for the extraction and click Extract.
Once the files are extracted, open the new folder, Joomla. If you see another folder inside of this one, delete it.
4: Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
If you do not have a preferred FTP client, follow our guide on working with Filezilla.
- Start your preferred FTP client, and in the Host, Username, and Password fields, type in the Nexcess server name, username, and password you created earlier within SiteWorx.
- In your local computer pane of your FTP client, locate the unzipped Joomla package.
- In the right pane, navigate by selecting the destination folders for the Joomla installation (Figure 3).
- Drag the Joomla package from your local computer pane to the Nexcess server pane and allow the package to transfer.
5: Configure database
- Log into your SiteWorx account using the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- From the main menu, click Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases.
Figure 4. SiteWorx main menu; Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases.
- In the Database Name box, type in a name for your Joomla database.\
- Once you have provided a name, click Create User.
- Type in a name for your database user. For the sake of consistency, we recommend this name to match the database name.
- In the Password and Confirm Password fields, either provide your own password, or click the generate button.
- Make note of the database name, database user, and the password for later use.
- Verify all MySQL User Permissions check boxes are selected and click Add.
6. Configure Joomla
- Navigate to your domain, along with the path of your Joomla installation. For example, if your domain is example.com, and your Joomla installation is Joomla, go to: example.com/joomla.
- The Main Configuration displays; select your preferred language from the Select Language drop down menu.
- In the Main Configuration field, type your site name, description, administrator email and password (Figure 5).
Figure 5. Main configuration.
- Set the Site Offline switch to yes if you plan on developing a website and do not want public access. Click Next.
- Retrieve your database credentials (Figure 6). In the "Username," "Password", and "Database Name" boxes, enter the corresponding information. Click Next.
Figure 6. Database configuration.
- Figure 7 displays the FTP configuration page. We recommend you do not provide your FTP credentials here because it makes your site vulnerable to exploits. Instead, leave all fields empty and click Next.
Figure 7. FTP configuration.
- Figure 8 shows the final page of the Joomla installation.
- The Finalisation section allows you to choose a pre-installed theme, if so desired.
- Under Overview, the Email Configuration switch permits you to send your Joomla credentials to your email.
- The rest of this page displays a list of your enabled and disabled settings. With Nexcess, all the configuration settings should already be accurate.
Figure 8. Final Joomla installation page.
- Click Install.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our Support Team by email or through the Client Portal.
There are no attachments for this article.
What is nextmp.net?
Added on Tue, Jan 6, 2015
How to Install phpBB
Added on Tue, Mar 18, 2014
How to Install Drupal 7.2
Added on Thu, Mar 20, 2014
What is memcached?
Added on Tue, Jul 22, 2014