How to Install phpBB
Article Number: 872 | Rating: Unrated | Last Updated: Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM
How to install phpBB v3.0
Table of contents
- Download the phpBB package
- Configure FTP credentials for transferring phpBB package
- Prepare phpBB package for transfer
- Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
- Configure the database
- Configure phpBB
- Delete the install folder
1: Download the phpBB Package
From your browser, navigate to the phpBB download page.
Click Download Latest (.zip) to start the download (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Download phpBB button.
2: Configure the FTP credentials for transferring the phpBB package
Attention: If you already have Nexcess FTP credentials, you may skip this section.
- Log in to your SiteWorx control panel with the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- Click Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts (Figure 2).
Figure 2. SiteWorx home menu.
- In the Add an FTP Account section, fill the FTP Username, Password, and Confirm Password fields and click Add.
- Save these credentials as you will need them later.
Figure 3. Add an FTP account panel.
3: Prepare phpBB package for transfer
Navigate to the location of the phpBB download.
Right-click on the Magento zip file, and select Extract All…
Select a location for the extraction and click Extract.
Once the files have extracted, open the new folder titled phpBB3.
4: Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
Start your preferred FTP client, and in the Host, Username, and Password fields, type in the Nexcess server name, the username and password you created earlier within SiteWorx.
In your local computer pane of your FTP client, locate the unzipped phpBB package.
In the right window, navigate by clicking the appropriate folders to where you would like to install phpBB.
4. Drag the phpBB folder from your local computer window, to the Nexcess server window, and allow the package to transfer.
5: Configure the database
- Log in to your SiteWorx account using the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- Click Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases (Figure 4).
Figure 4. Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases.
- Use Figure 5 for Steps 3a - 3c:
Figure 5. MySQL database management panel.
- Within the Database Name field, type in a name for your phpBB database and select the Create User check box.
- Type a name for your database user. It is recommended this name be the same as the database.
- Type your own password in to the Password and Confirm Password sections, or click Generate.
- It is recommended saving the Database Name, Database User, and the Password for use later.
- Verify all of the MySQL User Permissions are all selected and click Add.
6: Configure phpBB
- Navigate to your domain, using the path from your phpBB installation. For example, if your domain is example.com, and your phpBB installation is phpbb, go to example.com/phpbb.
- From the Installation Panel, click Install (Figure 6).
Figure 6. phpBB Installation Panel.
- Confirm the following sections are green:
- "mbstring extension check"
- "Optional modules"
- “Optional files and directories”
- "Files and directories"
- Click Start install (Figure 7).
Figure 7. Start install selection.
- Retrieve your database credentials,. We will need them for the next section.
- From the Database type list, select MySQL with MySQLi Extension. Leave Database server hostname or DSN and Database server port blank, these are not applicable to us. Type the database name, username, and password then click Proceed to next step.
Figure 8. Database configuration panel.
- You should see panel shown in Figure 9:
Figure 9. Successful connection window.
- Click Proceed to next step.
- The next panel allows you to set up your administrator user and password. Click Proceed to next step.
Figure 10. Administrator configuration panel.
- Another administrator test run. Click Proceed to next step (Figure 11).
Figure 11. Administrator details window.
- Email settings: The option Enable board-wide e-mails allows emails to be sent to all of your members.
- Use SMTP server for email: Select Yes. The Nexcess server is configured to use SMTP. The SMTP server address should be the server that hosts your site. The SMTP username and password are the same as the email account you will use.
Figure 12. Email settings panel.
- Server URL settings: The Cookie secure setting should be disabled if you are not using an SSL and Force server URL settings should be set to no. The domain name, server port and script path should all be left as is, because if they are set differently, your site will not load properly. Click Proceed to next step.A confirmation message will indicate the table has been populated with data (Figure 13).
Figure 13. Confirmation window.
7: Delete the install folder
Before your installation is complete, you will need to delete the folder that contains some sensitive data.
Log in to your Nexcess instance using FTP.
Navigate to your phpBB installation, and inside this folder, right-click on your install folder and click Delete.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our Support Team by email or through the Client Portal.
There are no attachments for this article.
How to edit php.ini
Added on Mon, Nov 10, 2014
What is nextmp.net?
Added on Tue, Jan 6, 2015
How to Install Joomla 3.2
Added on Tue, Mar 18, 2014
What is memcached?
Added on Tue, Jul 22, 2014
How to use TraceRoute
Added on Mon, Aug 5, 2013