How to install Vanilla Forums Community Edition 1.8
Article Number: 874 | Rating: 5/5 from 1 votes | Last Updated: Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 3:29 PM
How to install Vanilla Forums Community Edition v1.8
Table of contents
- Download the Vanilla Forums package
- Configure FTP credentials to transfer the Vanilla Forums package
- Prepare the Vanilla Forums package for transfer
- Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
- Configure the database
- Configure Vanilla Forums
1. Download the Vanilla Forums package
- Using your preferred browser, navigate to the Vanilla Forums download page.
- Type your email address, choose whether you would like to receive emails from Vanilla, and click Download Now.
- Place the file in the location of your choice.
2. Configure FTP credentials to transfer the Vanilla Forums package
Attention: If you already have Nexcess FTP credentials, you may skip this section.
- Log in to your SiteWorx control panel with the credentials provided in your Nexcess Welcome Email. On the left menu, click Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts.
Figure 1. SiteWorx main menu; Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts.
- Under Add an FTP Account, fill in the FTP Username, Password, and Confirm Password fields, then click Add.
Figure 2. Adding an FTP account.
- Record your credentials in a safe place for later use.
3. Prepare the Vanilla Forums package for transfer
- Navigate to the location of the Vanilla Forums download.
- Right-click on the Vanilla Forums zip file and choose Extract All. Choose a location for the extraction and click Extract.
- After extraction, open the new folder. If you see another folder inside of this one, delete it. This removes redundancy from your storefront; for example, http://yourdomain.com/vanilla/vanilla/
4. Use FTP to connect to the Nexcess server
If you do not have a preferred FTP client, follow our guide on working with Filezilla.
- Start your preferred FTP client. In the Host, Username, and Password fields, type the Nexcess server name, username, and password you created within SiteWorx.
- In your Local Computer tab of your FTP client, locate the unzipped Vanilla forums package.
Figure 3. Local Computer and Nexcess server panes.
- In the right window representing the Nexcess server, select the destination folders for the Vanilla forum installation.
- Click-and-drag the Vanilla Forums package from the Local Computer pane to the Nexcess server pane to transfer the package.
5. Configure the database
- Log into your SiteWorx account using the credentials provided in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- From the main menu, click Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases.
Figure 4. SiteWorx main menu; Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases
- Within the Database Name box, type in a name for your Vanilla forums database.
- Once you have provided a name, click Create User.
- Enter a name for your database user. For the sake of consistency, match your name to that of the database.
- Within the Password and Confirm Password fields, either provide your own password or click Generate.
Figure 5. Password creation.
- Record the Database Name, Database User, and the Password into a text document for future use.
- Ensure that all of the MySQL User Permissions check boxes are all selected and click Add.
6. Configure Vanilla Forums
- Using your web browser to navigate to your domain and corresponding Vanilla Forums path. For example, if your domain is example.com and your Vanilla Forums installation is "vanilla," navigate to example.com/vanilla. If your Vanilla Forums installation is at the top level of your domain, then just navigate to the domain.
- Retrieve your database credentials and enter them in the corresponding fields.
Figure 6. Database credentials.
- In the next window, enter your forum name, administrator email address, username, and password. Click Continue to finish your installation of Vanilla Forums.
Figure 7. User credentials.
For 24-hour assistance any day of the year, contact our Support Team by email or through the Client Portal.
There are no attachments for this article.
How to Install dotProject
Added on Thu, Mar 20, 2014
How to Install phpBB
Added on Tue, Mar 18, 2014
How to use TraceRoute
Added on Mon, Aug 5, 2013